
Quote #1: "...Fresh-off-the-Boat's, as the Chinese-American kids at school called the young immigrants." Said by the author on page 225, paragraph six.
Significance: This quote is significant because the Chinese-Americans are stereotyping. I think that it is interesting that the kids are being racist to their own ethnicity, and I think that at one time their parents were "FOBs." I also think this is important because kids shouldn't be stereotyping, or anybody for that matter.
Connection: I can connect to this because sometimes some of my friends make racist jokes or comments. Sometimes you can't control it and it just slips, but I think that people should try harder to let things like that be said.
Question #1: Have you ever stereotyped your own race? Why, and what was it?
Quote #2: "I've stopped checking 'bilingual' on job applications." Said by the author on page 239, paragraph one.
Significance: I chose this quote because it shows that she is now pretty much Americanized. She feels as though she doesn't understand or talk Chinese anymore, because she has been a little outlawed in her society. I think that it is important because everybody in the US should remember and practice their original culture.
Connection: I think that I would feel the same way if I wanted to get rid of my culture, and forget it all. I would definitely stop checking a bilingual box even if I knew the language, but didn't feel that I deserved to know it.
Question #2: How would you feel if you decided to get rid of your heritage? Would you look back on it and regret it, or would you continue looking forward?
Monday, March 9, 2009
The Woman Warrior Post #6
Posted by
Ben H
at
8:59 PM
Labels:
Class Asignments,
Independant Reading,
Response
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Response: I actually did this quote also so we both talked about the same thing. I think that racial profiling and stereo-typing is wrong. The only time that I think it is okay is when you're making fun of your own religion, race or ethnicity. I can connect to this because a lot of people say anti-Semitic things at my school that hurt my feelings. I think that its okay when people make jokes about their own selves because comedy and joking is a matter of comfortability with a certain person or yourself. I also think it is okay because you know the background of your own culture/religion/ethnicity. It is wrong for people to make fun of other peoples background because a lot of the time people who make those kinds of jokes don't know what they are talking about. Another reason that humor is okay is because It is a way for people to understand and work through a past or current problem like racism or mass killing.
Question:Yes, I have been called many anti semitic comments and I have been stereo typed. Some examples of stereo types on Jews would be greedy, having big noses, stealing, being a human bank etc.
Response: I think that this is not what she meant. I think she isn't checking the bilingual box because it isn't getting her any more jobs than usual. A lot of people come to America to be free and express culture and religion. Although some people come here and forget about their culture to fit in with American society. I don't think this is good because most Americans are welcoming to diversity.
Question: For me, I would never do that. This is because I am Jewish. Jews make up less than 1% of the world and it's important that we don't go extinct because according to religious text and some actual history The Jewish religion was one of the first religions.
Quote #1: As I comment Max's blog and what I think about this quote is that I agree with you and Max because I don't think that you should only be able to be racist of your own ethnicity because you shouldn't discriminate. And because it's your own ethicity. I also think thats it's not cool because if you not like your raise the you don't like your self.
Question #1: As I comment on Max's blog and said that I don't do that because I think that this is not cool. I also think that other people have feeling too so I don't like to make them feel bad. Also if you stereotyped your own raise is like if you were stereotyping you self and I don't think a lot of people like that.
Quote #2: I agree with you on the part that you said that it is important because everybody in the US should remember and practice their original culture. I also think that this part is very important because they could bring their own culture and religion to the U.S. Thats why the U.S has a lot of cultures and religions because a lot of people bring their culrute and religion to the U.S. I think this is cool.
Question #2: I think I would continue forward because what I di in the past doesn't matter now because were are in the presnt not on the past. Also I wouldn't keep going forward because if I did it it was because I had a reason to do it.
Post a Comment