
Chapter 5: Assembly
Simon's Journal
Right after our celebration on killing the pig, we had to have a meeting. Ralph called one also saying that he doesn't care how late or dark it is. Everyone could hear the tone in his voice, and new that he was serious. He walked down the mountain, and we all followed him. It was couple before Ralph actually called the shell. He was pacing around on the beach, lost in his thoughts. I was about to go over to him to see if everything was alright, but decided against it incase he got mad at me. Finally the conch was blown and everyone scrambled to the logs. The littluns in the back got we called the twister log, and had to perfectly balanced or they fell off and everything got out of hand. I sat down next to Jack and the hunters. Piggy stood outside of the triangle where everyone was, and listened. When Ralph started, he came over and sat next to me. Ralph was very sincere, and nobody moved. He was the perfect effigy of seriousness of the meeting. He spoke about how we were supposed to put up huts and shelters, and then mentioned that only he and I helped. There was an enormous uproar as the assembly tempestuously shouted that they had helped out also. It was enough for Ralph to blow the whistle, and that was he did. The noise died almost immediately. He pointed out that everyone helped with the first hut, but not with the other two. Then he continued about people doing their business where ever they wanted, instead of the designated area over by the rocks where the tide flushes it out. With this the littluns started laughing and flipped over on the twister log. Decorum was lost as everyone looked at them and laughed. It took another minute for Ralph to get the meeting back into his hands. Jack stood up next to me and asked for the conch, but Ralph said that he wasn't finished yet. "But you've talked and talked," said Jack. Ralph seemed to ignore him, and continued to go on with his speech, Jack's rambling fading away. He got to his part about the beastie, and said that this part was an open discussion. He first proclaimed that there wasn't any beastie, and asked if anybody was going to go against him. Jack added in, breaking the rules since he didn't have the conch, that he had been all around the island and that there was no place for a beastie to live and hide. A littlun stood up to tell his story, and as if it was Piggy's job, he took the conch from Ralph and took it to the littlun and stood by him. The littlun said his name was Percival, and I remembered him to be somewhat of just a whiner, and was a scared of a lot of things. He told about his nightmare and that he fighting plants outside his tent, and when he woke up, he was outside his tent. He looked to toward the forest and saw something moving. Then Percival broke down in a lamentation, and fell down on the grass so that he wasn't visible. Ralph took back the conch and asked if anyone was taking a trip in the middle of the night. I didn't want to stand up, but felt guilty, so I did so any way. Ralph asked what I was doing, and I tried to reply in the most innocent voice, that I was going to my place in jungle. The questions continued, and had the same reply, that is was just my little place in the jungle. It ended in Ralph telling me not to go out at night anymore, and then turned to rest of the assembly, and repeated him self. I sat down with the feeling that I didn't have a complete secret. Now I might have to find a new place.
Sunday, September 21, 2008
Lord of the Flies Post 4
Posted by
Ben H
at
9:03 AM
Labels:
Class Asignments,
LOTF,
Response
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment